Embraer Aircraft in Brasil recently adopted the J2 Aircraft Dynamics Software to enhance their Conceptual/Preliminary design process(CPD).
The Embraer Company had their own ‘trusted’ aero modelling environment but was looking at how this internal design capability could be enhanced through the adoption of ‘new technology’. Embraer selected the J2 Universal Toolkit, as the software was able to integrate with their existing modelling code base which was running in FORTRAN. This was a vital link as significant and valuable knowledge resided in the legacy modelling system.
The launch of the J2 Software into Embraer used the following workflow:
- Week 1 – training and orientation around the J2 software.
- Week 2 – Integration with existing modelling environment. (FORTRAN legacy system):
- This included network installation and dealing with the various permission levels required to run J2 software on the internal Embraer network.
- The running of test cases and comparison against existing tools for qualification and validation.
- Week 3 – Complete migration of the existing Embraer system onto the fully networked J2 Universal Framework design and analysis environment:
- Significantly, the elimination of extensive existing scripted code in favour of the embedded analytical tools and processes within J2 meant that many more cases could be analysed and run in a shorter time frame with no additional resource without the need to write any further code.
- The dynamic aircraft modelling environment also allowed Embraer to fly any design in real-time directly to their engineering simulator, make changes in real time and re-fly and evaluate those changes without writing any code.
Decio Pullin, Preliminary Design Team Manager at Embraer said:
“Once we knew that we could use our existing modelling code within the j2 Universal Tool-Kit software environment we began to see the significant benefit of using this very powerful analytical and evaluation modelling tool. The idea is to use only j2 Aircraft Dynamics Software for the entire Flight Mechanics analysis. We intend also to install j2 in our Engineering Simulator as the main simulation software for this project.”
- The use of J2 software at the CPD stage enables design teams to evaluate 50% more CPD design options than via conventional means using legacy tools. This is possible because:
- The designer no longer has to write any code in order to run multiple analyses.
- The powerful analytical toolset can run many test cases instantly.
- In addition, the aircraft models either built in J2 or integrated through J2 can be flown directly to any simulation environment and evaluated as they are developed. This enables the design team to look at certification manoeuvres running in real time on the conceptual designs they are working on.
- The J2 software has a mature installation process and is easily networked onto any company system without access or permission issues arising.